Friday, July 1, 2011

Update

Hello
There has been no blog for a few days. I have been in Amman and much of that time I did not have any internet. In fact I have been in the hospital because of an infection my foot. I am in the hospital and will have to head for home soon. I will continue the blog with the help those whu will stay at the dig. Most of the time our medical problems at the excavation are not serious. We bring with us first aid kits, bandages, and over the counter medicines. Also many team members bring there own supply of antibiotics, pain killers, etc.
Most of our medicial problems are usually deal with minor stomach problems and scrapes. But sometimes things get more serious. We have contacts in Amman and access to the best care in the country. So this week 3 members have come to Amman for treatment. One for vertigo (Don Garner), my infection, and a third for a kidney stone (Jerry Mattingly). All is well one member is heading back to the field (Don). I need to head home. The third member (Jerry) will be here for a few days and then he should be able to return to the excavation.

I will continue the blog as best I can from Amman and later from home.

Here are a few pictures from this week.


Here we see Tim Snow the photographer on the left in Field D with a human sun shield for the photos.



This pottery "reading". Each day we do pottery reading to determine the dates that the pottery was made. This helps us determine the date of the layer of soil where the potter was found. Leslie Bean is on the left on the top is Adam Bean. On the right is Jerry Mattingly. 



In field D Thomas, one of out team members from Germany is excavating.


There can be dangerous things hiding in the squares and under rocks. Here is scorpion found in Field D.

I will try to send another entry as soon as I can.

John Wineland
Amman, Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment